Thursday, January 12, 2012

A Place Called Charlotte, NC

Hello Fellow Travelers,

As I settle in one week into the start of my journey, I must offer thanks and gratitude to my hosts thus far. First, Bryce Abbott, son of my good friends Alec and Stacy Abbott. Bryce is a Master's Student at Virginia Tech, yogi, cross-fitter, bearded adventurer and all around good "dude". (i may never say the word "dude" again after staying with my buddy's Bryce and his awesome roommates. I should do a side story on his GIANT computer genius of a friend we shall refer to as "Mac") Bryce was kind enough to let me crash at his pad for a few days while in Blacksburg.


And now in Charlotte, NC, I am the honored guest of My good friend Brandon Powell, and his wife Kim. Included in the family: two American bull dogs, Leo and Kali, and a cat named Kitty. Brandon is a black-belt in Brazilian Ju-Jitsu, yogi, philosopher and the owner of his own "Dojo" the name for his soon to be opening space for BJJ and and dedicated to the training of the body and the mind. His brother Randy is the Co-Owner of a great raw-food restaurant, Luna's Living Kitchen. Today I only got a coffee and a really good smoothie, but I have a few days to test out the menu.


It is such a blessing to have individuals along your path that can either show you the way, or offer you a place of refuge. I think it's even more of a blessing to BE the individual able to offer the aid to those traveling along your path. Have you ever given someone the directions to some place that you loved? Or knew precisely in what direction to send the traveler in? Have you ever shared with someone some small bit of information that the next person found to be invaluable? It is a great feeling! We do these small deeds because we were placed alongside those who needed us, even for a brief moment. And we perform this act not because we expect some great reward when the traveler finds the gas station. We do it without consideration or expectation. The task is done simply because we were in position to do so. I think this is Karma Yoga. When we begin to see every task or act as a simple offering to the continuous flow of energy, and in our own way begin to direct this flow around us in a positive way. I see this as the way we encourage blessings to come to us, whether it's someones hospitality or directions, or that thing you most need at that particular time.


We are all on the path so somewhere, may you all find a soft place to rest your head.


Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment